What do we want? Pizza! When do we want it? Now! This vegan pizza recipe smashes pizza cravings like no other- it is SO cheesy, SO crispy, and SO scrumptious! We hope you love this homemade vegan pizza as much as we do (a lot)!
For the dough: (enough for 2, 12″ pizzas)
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs or 2 teaspoons dried (omit if you don’t have any)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the sauce:
- 1 can diced tomatoes, fire-roasted is preferred
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
For the Cheese:
- 1 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (want more cheesy flavor, add more nooch!)
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1–2 cups fresh tomatoes (sliced or diced- your preference)
Start your dough:
- Mix the warm water, the yeast, and the sugar together in a bowl, and let it sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to bloom.
- Mix in the salt, fresh chopped herbs, and flour. Stir together until a rough dough forms.
- Flour a work surface and knead the dough for 3-5 minutes. Then place in a large bowl and cover with a towel to rise until doubled in size, for 1-2 hours.
- This post has tips and tricks on our thin-crust pizza dough!
Start your sauce:
- Peel and chop the garlic. Heat a pan with the olive oil on medium-low and saute gently for 3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes (and liquid) and bring to a simmer. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10- 15 minutes until your desired consistency is reached, then remove from heat.
For the cheese:
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend for 30-60 seconds.
- Pour mixture into a small pot and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- You’ll notice the mixture begin to thicken, the tapioca starch stretchy action occurs as this begins to boil/bubble. Keep stirring for 1 minute after simmering then remove from heat.
- You can drizzle/clump this cheese on as is
- This vegan cheese recipe has in-depth info about the cheese.
Assemble your pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 450*.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Flour a working surface and use a rolling pin to roll into 2 thin 10-12″ circles.
- Place your crust on a parchment-lined pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Top with about 1/2 cup of sauce, the vegan pizza cheese, and your toppings of choice.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until the crust is firm and lightly golden around the perimeter and the bottom of the pizza.
** If you have a storebought vegan cheese or tomato sauce, you can use that instead of making your own.
Keywords: Vegan pizza