Flaxseed oatmeal: Hot Diggity! Here’s an effortless keto & low carb alternative to oatmeal: flaxseed oatmeal! This flaxseed porridge is a breakfast with a boost, think: healthy fats, protein & fiber without the carbs. Also it’s supremely customizable on the flavor front.
The dream of breakfast is very much alive with flaxseed oatmeal.
- 1/4 cup whole or halved nuts, any combination of your choice
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal or 2.5 tablespoons whole flaxseeds
- 3/4 cup– 1 cup milk (more if you like a thinner consistency, I use 3/4 cup almond milk)
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sweetener of choice (I used 2 tsp stevia but honey or maple syrup would be great too!)
- Measure your nuts and flaxseed meal (or whole flaxseeds) and add to a blender or food processor. Run about 30 seconds until a coarse meal/flour is reached.
- Add your flaxseed meal base to a pot, add milk, cinnamon, and sweetener of choice and simmer over low heat for 3-5 minutes. This will cook and thicken quickly! Don’t walk away.
- Adjust the consistency as needed depending on your taste- I use 3/4 cup but add more liquid to reach the consistency you desire. You can also use water instead of milk!
- Microwave option: Follow step 1 but instead of adding to a pot, add ground nut/seed mix and all other ingredients into a bowl & microwave for 1 minute. Stir and add liquid as needed, microwaving in 30-second increments until desired consistency is reached.
** Keep in mind flaxseeds have a thickening property & this oatmeal will thicken as it cools. Also, if prepping a batch for several days, add a few tablespoons of water when reheating to thin again.
** Nutritional info for this recipe was calcuated using 3/4 cup almond milk & 1/4 cup hazelnuts, swapping different nuts and milks will change the nutrition count.
** Try this swirled with our sugar free blackberry jam!
** Nuts and seeds are calorically dense foods but provide a variety of essential nutrients. If you’re looking for a low calorie option, you can substitute the 1/4 cup nuts with 1/4 cup cauliflower rice (cauliflower florets finely chopped of pulsed in a food processor!) or you can eat this as 2 servings vs. 1 serving.
Keywords: flaxseed oatmeal, flaxseed porridge, vegan keto recipes