We’re biased, but we think you should live your life eating this vegan vanilla ice cream! This vegan ice cream recipe is spot-on to crush cravings AND it’s a canvas to use for all your future flavor combination creations! Let’s all scream for ice cream.
- 2 cans Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean (or sub 1 tablespoon vanilla extract)
- pinch of salt
- The day before making vanilla ice cream, place your ice cream base in the refrigerator to chill. This step is VERY important!
- When ready to prepare the ice cream base, open the 2 cans of coconut milk and pour into a mixing dish.
- Add 1/2 cup maple syrup and pinch of salt.
- Split the vanilla bean and use a spoon to scrape out all the vanilla. Combine all ingredients well.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- To make ice cream: Blend your ice cream base for 60 seconds. This will break up the now solidified coconut chunks, AND it will incorporate air into your ice cream mix. More air=creamier ice cream!
- Assemble the ice cream machine and turn it on. Pour the mixture into the base and leave to churn for 15-30 minutes.
- When ice cream has thickened and has a soft serve consistency, remove from ice cream maker and place into a dish, into the freezer to set for at least 3 hours.
- Remove from freezer 5-10 minutes prior to scooping and enjoy!
** I tested this recipe multiple times and I really do believe the vanilla bean adds vanilla flavor.
** You can sub 1/2 cup of white or cane sugar instead of the maple syrup. The ‘syrup’ consistency helps the ice cream have a creamier consistency, AND helps to disguise the coconut flavor. With any other sweetener we tried this tasted like coconut ice cream more than vanilla- the maple syrup adds a small layer of complexity that is PERFECT without overpowering the ice cream!
** This tastes best if eaten within 5 days.
Keywords: Ice cream, Desserts