We return to our pesto series with this recipe for nut-free and dairy free pesto! We’ll use hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds to make this nut free pesto shine. Bonus: this pesto freezes well- so go ahead & make a double batch in your blender to save some for a rainy day.
- 2 cups basil, tightly packed
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds (sub pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup – 1/3 cup olive oil, depending on preferred consistency. More oil = thinner pesto! If only using 1/4 cup oil, you may need to add 2-3 tablespoons water.
- Measure and add all ingredients to a food processor and puree until combined.
- You can toast the hemp seeds if you’d like to, this will increase the flavor of the hemp seeds!
- Before removing from the food processor, taste and adjust flavors as you see fit.
- Taste a little bland? Try adding more salt, pinch at a time.
- Taste okay, but a little dull? Try adding more lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Doesn’t taste cheesy enough? Add more nutritional yeast
4. Remove from food processor or blender and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
** This nut-free pesto freezes well! Freeze for up to 3 months, defrost in the fridge prior to using!
** Substitute any seeds you have if you don’t have hemp seeds on hand. Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are our next favorite choices.
Keywords: Nut-Free Pesto, Dairy-Free Pesto