Chili crisp is the spicy chili condiment you can drizzle, dribble, or drop on just about anything you cook at home. A spicy chili crisp garnish adds sweet, umami, and heat that can transform your run-of-the-mill weeknight dinners into restaurant-worthy meals served at home!
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, maybe a few glugs more
- 2” fresh ginger, finely grated or chopped
- 2” fresh turmeric, finely grated or chopped (or 2 teaspoons ground)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1–3 tablespoons chili flakes, based on heat preference
- 3 tablespoons sesame seed or chopped cashews
- Peel the garlic cloves, shallots, turmeric, and ginger.
- Using either a mandolin or a food processor with a shredding disc slice shallots and garlic thinly and evenly. We used a food processor shredding disc on the #2 thickness setting!
- Use a Microplane or zester to finely grate the turmeric and ginger. Or finely dice by hand.
- Place coriander, chili flakes, sugar, soy sauce, turmeric, ginger, sesame seeds & sesame oil into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add oil to a small saucepan and warm over low heat. We want the oil hot but not scalding.
- Once the oil is hot add the garlic and shallots and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring often.
- This mixture needs to simmer until shallots and garlic are both an inviting golden brown color, about 20 minutes. Keep a very close eye on things as we don’t want them to burn. If the shallots or garlic burn this mixture will have a very bitter taste.
- Once the shallot mixture is nice and brown– it won’t seem crispy– nice and brown, remove from heat and pour through a mesh strainer over the bowl of dried spices– we want the hot oil to mix with all the seasonings.
- Lay the fried shallots and garlic onto a few pieces of paper towels to air dry and crisp up. Yum.
- Once the oil is cool add the shallots and garlic back into the oil and stir gently to combine. Place in a jar for storage in the fridge and use as needed!
- This recipe has a high ratio of fried shallots to oil- we like it this way. When you combine the oil and shallots together, they might not be fully submerged and that’s okay!
- Store in the fridge for 3-4 weeks and use as a garnish on all your favorite meals!
** While the shallots and garlic will fry in the oil, but when you add them together in a jar the shallots won’t be fully submerged in the oil. This is okay! (Honestly, it will help them stay crisp!) BUT if you prefer, you can add a few more tablespoons of oil to submerge them.
** Do NOT burn the garlic or shallots! You want a deep golden brown. If you burn the garlic or shallots while frying the oil will develop a very bitter and unpleasant taste. Go low and slow and keep a close eye on things for 25 minutes or so!
Keywords: Spicy Chili Crisp