Here’s an easy recipe for fire-roasted tomato sauce using canned tomatoes. Everyone needs a trusty canned tomato sauce recipe for when pizza or pasta cravings strike, ahem- now, so run, don’t walk to make this firey spin on classic tomato sauce!
- 2 cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (oregano, thyme, pizza, or Italian seasoning)
- salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil on low and gently sautee the minced garlic until fragrant.
- Add the diced fire-roasted tomatoes and juices as well as the dried herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes until your desired thickness is achieved.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning & consistency. Add salt if needed.
- You can puree this in a blender, or use an immersion blender to achieve a thinner consistency if desired. Be cautious of splatter and splashes if blending.
- Leave the sauce as-is for a rustic, chunkier sauce.
- This sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 6 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months!
You can purchase canned, fire-roasted tomatoes in most grocery stores, right next to regular canned tomatoes!
To increase the firey/smokey quality of this sauce you could add 1-3 teaspoons of canned chipotles in adobo sauce– It makes a lovely smokey, spicey, sweet sauce.
Keywords: fire roasted tomato sauce