Prepare for a great moment with pesto, specifically oil-free vegan pesto. This recipe uses avocado in place of olive oil while keeping the satisfying taste and feel we all love about traditional pesto. This recipe comes together in less than 10 minutes to help you get dinner on the table!
- 2 cups basil, tightly packed
- 1/3 cup walnuts (or other nut)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.5 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese if not vegan
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice- about 1/2 a medium lemon
- 1/2 ripe medium avocado
- about 1/3 cup water (4–6 tablespoons)
- Measure and add all ingredients to a food processor and puree until combined.
- You can toast the nuts if you’d like to, this will increase their flavor.
- Before removing from the food processor, taste and adjust flavors as you see fit.
- Taste a little bland? Try adding more salt, pinch at a time.
- Taste okay, but a little dull? Try adding more lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Doesn’t taste cheesy enough? Add more nutritional yeast
4. Remove from food processor or blender and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
** This oil-free pesto freezes well! Freeze for up to 3 months, defrost in the fridge prior to using! Note the pesto will be brown after freezing due to the avocado.
** Substitute any nuts you have if you don’t have walnuts on hand.
Keywords: Oil-Free Vegan Pesto