Walnut pesto is easy to make, delicious on a variety of meals, and easy to freeze for later use. This is one of our favorite pesto variations- we’re sure your family will love it as well. Enjoy this easy homemade walnut pesto recipe!
- 2 cups basil, tightly packed
- 1/3 cup walnuts, preferrably toasted
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast or 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or 1/3 for thinner consistency)
- Measure and add all ingredients to a food processor and puree until combined.
- You can toast the walnuts if you’d like to, this will increase the flavor of the walnuts!
- Before removing from the food processor, taste and adjust flavors as you see fit.
- Taste a little bland? Try adding more salt, pinch at a time.
- Taste okay, but a little dull? Try adding more lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Doesn’t taste cheesy enough? Add more nutritional yeast
4. Remove from food processor or blender and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
** This walnut pesto freezes well! Freeze for up to 3 months, defrost in the fridge prior to using!
** Substitute other nut if you don’t have walnuts, almonds can easily be used!
Keywords: Walnut Pesto